Monday 22 September 2008

Before I left...

I am now back in sunny (??!!) UK and yearning to be back in my 'home'. I had a crazy time my last few weeks so I just had a few little gems I didn't get chance to write about...
My VVF ladies continued to be a huge source of inspiration to me. We had a hilarious moment taking some of the ladies up to deck 7. Several of the slightly older ladies were clearly bewildered by the concept of the lift... we crammed them into the dark lift, mainly used for the kitchens, and their faces were a picture. Hands gripped to the rails and wide eyes bored into the door of the lift. Many of them were unable to speak any English so just kept looking at me questioningly as the lift began... the ding of the lift as the doors swooshed open signified the moment for an exhaling of held breath on the part of the ladies and a bit of a chuckle from me :)
On returning to the ward a little later (after a slightly more giggle some trip down in the lift), the ladies went hurriedly around telling each other about the 'lift events'. the giggling, laughing and arms waving and pretending to leap in the air as if the lift were going up were obvious story telling moments. Oh how I laughed too!
It's amazing what we take for granted, a simple lift and even flights of stairs never encountered by other people...

No comments: