Monday 22 September 2008

My VVF ladies and their dress ceremony

I had the awesome privilege of being at the dress ceremony of several of my patients a few days before I left the ship. 4 of the ladies I had been looking after were squeezed into a little room to be prepared. As I peeked through the glass panel of the door, I saw an excited bunch of ladies, putting on make up, spraying perfume, having their hair done, and beautiful vibrant patterned fabric being wrapped around them - their new garments.
As I headed down to the ward, Finda (32), one of my 'live wire' patients popped out of the room. Spotting Dr Steve her surgeon in the distance she bounds up to him, shouting 'look no pee pee!!!' as she danced in a circle showing us her dry legs and feet. We all laughed and danced together.
I settled into my seat on the ward and waited for the familiar drumming to begin as the ladies came down the corridor singing. Dr Steve the surgeon sitting opposite me, having been to many ceremonies before, was clearly just as excited about this one as the first one he had ever been to! The music got louder and the singing more joyous, eventually the ladies bounding in the room and taking their seats at the end of the ward. After a word from our beautiful Clementine who works closely with the ladies every day, each of the ladies gave their testimony.
Garmai has had VVF for 26 years!!! She is amazing. Every day in the ward at least twice she would begin leading the ladies in worship and she would preach God's word to all those around her. She was so faithful to everything she knew and so vibrant and such a character on the ward. She has had a ministry of healing for years and years, and through her time in her church she has been able to pray for many people and see them healed of many afflictions. She explained to us how her first husband had left, but then how she became remarried despite her sickness. Still she asked God why He could heal so many others through her, but she was still sick. Now she was standing there, dry, proclaiming how faithful God had been to her, and realising how her story would be for the encouragement of so many others, with her adamant that God's timing was perfect! Garmai then became so excited as she proclaimed 'now I can stand at the front of my church because I won't have a wet butt!'

Next came Finda who is such a character. We had so much fun with her coining the phrase I used one day in jest 'you try it lady...' when I jokingly challenged one of my patients to do something she knew she couldn't. Day after day as I walked on the ward adn went about my nursing activities, there would be Finda in the background 'hey lady, you just try it lady!!' Many of my colleagues still haven't forgiven me for that little gem ;-) She sang so beautifully and then told us how she had been leaking for 13 years. Her husband had left her and her baby had died. Now she had new life and she was going to live it to the full!

In the corner of the room was Baby, who I have talked about before. The surgeons had done everything they could for the hole between her bladder, vagina and rectum, and after her catheter had been removed, she was tragically still leaking. She was so brave. She was offered a dress ceremony as a sign of God giving her life even though she was still wet. Understandably she declined but she came to support her friends. She quietly celebrated with them, and then at the end, tears in her eyes she sat very still. Our hearts were breaking for this poor sweet 19 year old. We prayed for her and cried with her, empathising with the image in her mind of her future. But, in true style, Garmai drew close to her, someone who had suffered for 26 years, encouraging her not to give up hope and thank God that he was going to use her. I was shaken to my core. I have it so good, and the faith of those who have it so bad is above and beyond anything I have ever dreamed of. These women have taught me so much it is unbelievable.

No comments: